Starfish (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1) (Paperback)
Read and find out about how starfish in this colorfully illustrated nonfiction picture book.
Starfish have arms, but no legs. They have feet, but no toes. Starfish aren't fish, but they are living animals. In this Let's-Read-and-Find-Out classic, learn how starfish move, eat, and grow.
This is a clear and appealing science book for early elementary age kids, both at home and in the classroom. It's a Level 1 Let's-Read-and-Find-Out, which means the book explores introductory concepts perfect for children in the primary grades. The 100+ titles in this leading nonfiction series are:
- hands-on and visual
- acclaimed and trusted
- great for classrooms
Top 10 reasons to love LRFOs:
- Entertain and educate at the same time
- Have appealing, child-centered topics
- Developmentally appropriate for emerging readers
- Focused; answering questions instead of using survey approach
- Employ engaging picture book quality illustrations
- Use simple charts and graphics to improve visual literacy skills
- Feature hands-on activities to engage young scientists
- Meet national science education standards
- Written/illustrated by award-winning authors/illustrators & vetted by an expert in the field
- Over 130 titles in print, meeting a wide range of kids' scientific interests
Books in this series support the Common Core Learning Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) standards. Let's-Read-and-Find-Out is the winner of the American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru Science Books & Films Prize for Outstanding Science Series.
Edith Thacher Hurd was born in Kansas City, Missouri. She wrote more than seventy-five children's books, including Starfish, I Dance in My Red Pajamas and the Johnny Lion books, many of which were illustrated by her husband, Clement Hurd.
Robin Brickman cuts, paints, and glues watercolor paper to create unique collages. Her children's books include A Log's Life by Wendy Pfeffer which was a 1997 American Bookseller "Pick of the Lists" and was also selected for the 1997 John Burroughs Association List of Outstanding Nature Books, and Starfish by Edith Thacher Hurd. Her latest book, Beaks! was selected by IRA for the Teacher's Choice listing in 2003, primary level.She lives in Williamstown, Massachusetts.