An Insider's Guide to Cloud Computing (Paperback)
Many cloud computing initiatives flat-out fail; others limp along, functioning tolerably without ever delivering what they promised. An Insider's Guide to Cloud Computing reveals why and shows how to do better. Cloud pioneer and long-time CTO David Linthicum explodes the industry's secrets and presents practical ways to optimize cloud for value and performance.
Linthicum takes a hard look at aggressively marketed technologies such as cloud-based AI, containers, no-code, serverless computing, and multicloud. He illuminates what works, what absolutely does not work, and how to manage the difficult cost-complexity tradeoffs presented by many offerings. You'll learn why some workloads and datasets still don't belong on the cloud, and even discover "game changer" technology that has actually been undersold.
Linthicum's seen it all: the tricks providers play to make their numbers at customers' expense...realities whispered about in conference rooms and spilled over drinks at conferences...facts and techniques you simply must know to deliver value-optimized solutions.
An Insider's Guide to Cloud Computing is for every technical and business decision-maker responsible for evaluating, planning, implementing, operating, or optimizing cloud systems. It offers exceptional value to professionals ranging from solution architects to cloud engineers, CTOs to enterprise consultants, or those just getting started on their cloud computing journey.
- What cloud providers don't tell you about their storage and compute services
- Cloud-based artificial intelligence and machine learning: What are you actually paying for?
- Containers, Kubernetes, and cloud-native development: truth versus hype
- Multicloud: Which approaches actually save you money?
- Real-world cloud security: beyond silos, black boxes, and out-of-control complexity
- Cloud computing, carbon footprints, and sustainability: reality versus fiction
- The crucial role of talent: how to identify, find, and keep the skills you need
- How cloud computing is changing--and how to prepare for what's coming