The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing (Paperback)
A step-by-step guide to help both victims of emotional abuse and their abusers escape unhealthy patterns originating from childhood abuse and neglect
In the second edition of The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing, internationally recognized therapist Beverly Engel walks readers through a proven program designed to help readers get to the core of their unhealthy behavior patterns.
This book was written specifically for two types of couples--those who mutually abuse each other and those with abusive partners who are willing to honestly look at themselves to and make the necessary changes to stop abusing. Unique among books of this type, Engel focuses on both the abused person and the abuser, offering non-judgmental advice to both groups. She offers effective strategies, techniques, and information to end abusive behaviors, including:
- Why some people are attracted to abusive people and vice versa
- Patterns created from childhood neglect and abuse and how to break them
- Determining if you or your partner suffers from a personality disorder such as Narcissism or Borderline Personality Disorder
- How to decide whether to continue the relationship or end it
- The importance of healing shame caused by childhood neglect and abuse
- How self-compassion can help heal both victims of emotional abuse and the abusers themselves
The Emotionally Abusive Relationship is essential for those involved in unhealthy relationships or who have loved ones trapped in an emotionally abusive situation. Therapist recommended, this book is also a must-read resource for students of psychotherapy.