Waking Up: A Week Inside a Zen Monastery (Week Inside...) (Paperback)
An essential guide to what it's like to spend a week inside
a Zen Buddhist monastery.
The notion of spending days at a time in silence and meditation amid the serene beauty of a Zen monastery may be appealing--but how do you do it, and what can you really expect from the experience?
Waking Up provides the answers for everyone who's just curious, as well as for all those who have dreamed of actually giving it a try and now want to know where to begin.
Jack Maguire take us inside the monastery walls to present details of what it's like: the physical work, common meals, conversations with the monks and other residents, meditation, and other activities that fill an ordinary week. We learn:
- What kind of person resides in a Zen monastery?
- Why do people stay there/ And for how long?
- Must you be a Buddhist to spend time there?
- What do the people there do? What is a typical day like?
- How does the experience affect people's spiritual life once they're back home?
- How can I try it out?
A detailed Guide to Zen and Buddhist Places and a glossary of terms make Waking Up not only a handbook for the curious seeker, but an excellent resource for anyone wanting to know more about the Buddhist way.