Join Tour Guide, Carolyn Muraskin, owner of DC Design Tours for an architectural exploration of both famous Museums and little known hidden gems along the East side of the National Mall in Washington, DC.
New Date: Sunday, September 18th, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Our "Nation's Attic," the Smithsonian Institution has shaped the character of the National Mall since 1855. Washington's most beloved museums line the East side of the National Mall, tracing the arc of American architecture, from the Gothic Smithsonian Castle to the modern Museum of the American Indian. Romanesque to Victorian, neoclassical to Brutalist, each unique building is an architectural study all its own. Learn about the style, design, controversy, construction, and fascinating backstory behind these celebrated museums.
This tour meets in front of the Smithsonian Castle at 1000 Jefferson Dr SW. The tour takes about 2 hours and covers approximately 1 mile, ending on the West lawn of the U.S. Capitol. Click here to see a map of the tour route!
Participants are encouraged to take Metro to Smithsonian station, as street parking is very limited around the White House.
Sights and stops include:
- Smithsonian Castle & Garden
- James V. Forrestal Building (Dept of Energy)
- Arts and Industries Building
- Hirshhorn Museum
- National Air and Space Museum
- National Gallery of Art (from a distance)
- National Museum of the American Indian
- United States Botanic Garden
- United States Capitol Building
Carolyn Muraskin is the founder of tour agency DC Design Tours, which offers historical tours of Washington DC focused on architecture, urban planning, and design. Carolyn is a graduate of the University of Maryland School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation. As a former architectural designer, Carolyn worked on mixed-use, historic restoration, master planning, and retail projects in the Washington area. She left her drafting desk behind in 2015 and founded DC Design Tours so she could talk about buildings rather than draw them. Carolyn lives in the Cleveland Park neighborhood of Washington DC with her husband, toddler, and cat. She has a passion for all things brick and mortar.
Return Policy: Refunds are only guaranteed up to seven days befor the trip.
No Member Discount
By purchasing ticket(s), you affirm that you and tour attendees accompanying you fully understand and agree to the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand that my safety is my responsibility.
- I understand and agree that the loss, theft, or destruction of my belongings is my sole responsibility.
- I fully understand and accept, without limitation, sole responsibility for all of the risks associated with my participation while on the tour or event, including injury and death whether through my own actions or those of other participants, tour guides, or any other external parties. I assume sole responsibility for this risk and release Politics & Prose from all liability or damages resulting from my participation.
- I understand and agree that the safety and wellbeing of minors under the age of 18 accompanying myself or my party are my sole responsibility.
- I represent that I am in proper physical condition to participate in this tour or event.
- I understand and agree that tour leader reserves the right to disqualify anyone at any time during the tour if he or she feels the person’s continued participation will jeopardize the individual involved or the group. Refunds are not given under such circumstances.
- I waive liability and release Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all actions, suits, claims, controversies, damages, judgments and executions whatsoever, in law or in equity, direct or indirect, known or unknown, foreseeable or unforeseeable, which I may have or acquire, arising from, concerning or related to entry in, travel to or from and/or participation in Politics & Prose tours or events.
- I agree that Politics & Prose is not liable for delay or cancellation resulting from acts of participants, agents, employees, acts of God, public enemy, or the United States; or fire, natural disaster, strikes, or civil disturbance.
- This Participant Waiver and Release of Liability shall be construed in accordance with, and its validity and effect (including any claims for breach of any of the terms thereof) shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, and this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability contains the entire understanding and the agreement of the parties hereto and supersedes all other written and oral exchanges, arrangements or negotiations among them, whether written or oral, concerning the subject matter hereof.
I do hereby, on behalf of myself, my dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release and agree to hold harmless Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all liability associated with the above. I agree to release, discharge, defend and indemnify against, any and all liability, whether caused by willful or negligent conduct, Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, operators, agents, and employees from any claims, actions and liabilities for injury (including death), illness and property losses, theft or damages to myself and those participating in the tour with me. This release shall extend to and include any person/entity acting through or on my behalf.