In the Tregaron Conservancy
Friday, July 15th, 2022 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Sold Out Please email email@example.com for the waitlist
Join Melanie Choukas-Bradley, author of The Joy of Forest Bathing and A Year in Rock Creek Park, and several other nature books for a summer forest bathing walk through the enchanting Tregaron Conservancy, a woodland garden tucked away in the midst of northwest Washington that has been restored and stewarded by a non-profit organization since 2006. We will meander under tall trees resplendent with spring foliage, cross picturesque bridges over musical streams, and climb stone steps through a century-old cultivated and wild woodland landscape reminiscent of “the secret garden.” Shinrin-yoku, or forest bathing, began in the 1980s in Japan and it is rooted in the traditional Japanese reverence for nature. Forest bathing is a mindfulness practice akin to meditation, yoga and tai chi that involves tuning in to the beauty and wonder of your natural surroundings with all of your senses. Melanie is a nature and forest therapy guide with certification from the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy Guides & Programs and she has participated in guided shinrin-yoku walks throughout Japan. She will guide you on a calming and rejuvenating walk through the Tregaron woodland with plenty of time to slow down and soak up the beauty of this enchanting wild garden, one of the best kept secrets in our city.
Meet at the iron gate entrance on Klingle Road, NW. Please note there is another entrance to the Conservancy on Macomb Street, NW and also pedestrian access from the Rock Creek Park Klingle Valley Trail.
Know Before You Go:
Politics and Prose is now following DC Government and CDC guidelines for Covid protocol. Masks are optional. We are encouraging the use of wearing masks but will not be checking vaccination cards or mandating that everyone wear a mask. We'll continue monitoring the covid situation closely, and any decision to reinstate a mask mandate or vaccine acknowledgement requirment will be tied to the community rating system recently introduced by the CDC.
Preparation for the Walk: Dress in comfortable clothing and be prepared for slow walking on natural trails and stone steps with some hill climbing. Bring rain gear if showers are expected.
Weather Policy: We will go ahead in light intermittent rain but will reschedule if steady heavy rain is in the forecast.
Directions, Map and other information: Tregaron is a 10-15 minute walk from the Cleveland Park and Woodley Metro stops and can be accessed on foot or by bicycle (no bikes allowed within Tregaron) from the Klingle Valley Trail in Rock Creek Park. We will meet at the iron gate entrance at 3031 Klingle Road, NW. You may also enter from 3100 Macomb Street, NW and walk through the park to meet up with us at the gate on Klingle. Please note: there are no restrooms at Tregaron. There is a Starbucks on Connecticut Avenue across from the Zoo on Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park, each of which is a 10-15 minute walk from the meeting place.
Please visit this site for detailed transportation options and directions, a map and information about the Tregaron Conservancy: https://www.tregaronconservancy.org/directions/.
Registration Limited to 15 people.
Please let us know any questions. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By purchasing this program, you affirm that you and tour attendees accompanying you fully understand and agree to the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand that my safety is my responsibility.
- I understand and agree that the loss, theft, or destruction of my belongings is my sole responsibility.
- I fully understand and accept, without limitation, sole responsibility for all of the risks associated with my participation while on the tour or event, including injury and death whether through my own actions or those of other participants, tour guides, or any other external parties. I assume sole responsibility for this risk and release Politics & Prose from all liability or damages resulting from my participation.
- I understand and agree that the safety and wellbeing of minors under the age of 18 accompanying myself or my party are my sole responsibility.
- I represent that I am in proper physical condition to participate in this tour or event.
- I understand and agree that tour leader reserves the right to disqualify anyone at any time during the tour if he or she feels the person’s continued participation will jeopardize the individual involved or the group. Refunds are not given under such circumstances.
- I waive liability and release Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all actions, suits, claims, controversies, damages, judgments and executions whatsoever, in law or in equity, direct or indirect, known or unknown, foreseeable or unforeseeable, which I may have or acquire, arising from, concerning or related to entry in, travel to or from and/or participation in Politics & Prose tours or events.
- I agree that Politics & Prose is not liable for delay or cancellation resulting from acts of participants, agents, employees, acts of God, public enemy, or the United States; or fire, natural disaster, strikes, or civil disturbance.
- This Participant Waiver and Release of Liability shall be construed in accordance with, and its validity and effect (including any claims for breach of any of the terms thereof) shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, and this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability contains the entire understanding and the agreement of the parties hereto and supersedes all other written and oral exchanges, arrangements or negotiations among them, whether written or oral, concerning the subject matter hereof.
I do hereby, on behalf of myself, my dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release and agree to hold harmless Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all liability associated with the above. I agree to release, discharge, defend and indemnify against, any and all liability, whether caused by willful or negligent conduct, Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, operators, agents, and employees from any claims, actions and liabilities for injury (including death), illness and property losses, theft or damages to myself and those participating in the tour with me. This release shall extend to and include any person/entity acting through or on my behalf.