A Dive into the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure
Saturday, August 27th, 2022 at 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Join JoAnn Hill, author of Secret Washington, DC: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful and Obscure, on a tour of downtown DC.
As the Washington, D.C. area gets warmer this summer, it’s time to get out and explore this beloved city. To quickly introduce myself: I’m JoAnn Hill your guide for Secrets of Chinatown walking tour through Politics and Prose. We’ll meet at the Friendship Archway (7th and H Streets NW -- right near the metro) at 11 a.m. Do keep in mind that Metro always has some weekend track maintenance going on, so plan accordingly to be on time.
We will be walking throughout the downtown area, so please wear comfortable walking shoes (not sandals) and bring your camera. The tour should last about 90 mins.
Here's a list of the sites that we will walk to and talk about:
Start tour and meet at Friendship Archway (7th and H Streets NW -- right near metro) -- Intro and story about why there is no J Street in Washington, DC
Wok and Roll Restaurant -- Former boarding house where owner Mary Surratt worked with conspirators to plot assassination of Abraham Lincoln)
Smithsonian American Art Museum -- Throne of Third Heaven by James Hampton -- we will go inside the museum to see this art masterpiece
Mary Church Terrell Place -- Former Hecht's Department Store named for Mary Church Terrell -- activist and educator who fought to integrate public places in DC, including restaurants
Baptist Alley (behind Ford's Theatre) the alleyway where John Wilkes Booth escaped Ford's Theatre after shooting President Abraham Lincoln)
Temperance Fountain - One of the few remaining fountains that was designed to promote drinking water instead of alcohol during the 19th- and early 20th-century Temperance Movement
Metro Station -- Local Musician Jason Mendelson wrote and performs songs about all 91 metro stations in the Washington, DC metro area (we will end our tour at Archives Navy-Memorial Penn Quarter Metro Station)
And lastly if you’d like a copy of Secret Washington, DC: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure, you can purchase it from Politics & Prose, and JoAnn will be happy to sign it. She also keeps a few copies in my backpack, just in case.
Looking forward to exploring the Secrets of Chinatown with all of you!
About your tour guide:
JoAnn Hill, author of Secret Washington, DC: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure, has affectionately called Washington, DC home for over twenty years. She has written extensively about DC living, its food, and her world travels on her blog dcglobejotters.org and other mediums and publications. Through her writing and research, she shares hidden histories, off-the-beaten-path locales, and lesser-known stories that inspire the insatiably curious explorer. Her next book, DC Scavenger, will be released later this year. She lives in DC with her husband Thalamus and dog Jackson and is the co-founder of Capitol Teachers, a tutoring company servicing the greater DC area.
Know Before You Go:
Politics and Prose is now following DC Government and CDC guidelines for Covid protocol. Masks are optional. We are encouraging the use of wearing masks but will not be checking vaccination cards or mandating that everyone wear a mask. We'll continue monitoring the covid situation closely, and any decision to reinstate a mask mandate or vaccine acknowledgement requirment will be tied to the community rating system recently introduced by the CDC.
Preparation for the Walk: Dress in comfortable clothing and be prepared for walking. Bring rain gear if showers are expected.
Weather Policy: We will go ahead in light intermittent rain but will cancel if steady heavy rain is in the forecast.
Meeting place: Downtown Washington, D.C. at Dupont Circle -- at the Fountain.
Registration Limited to 20 people.
Please let us know any questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org
By purchasing ticket(s), you affirm that you and tour attendees accompanying you fully understand and agree to the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand that my safety is my responsibility.
- I understand and agree that the loss, theft, or destruction of my belongings is my sole responsibility.
- I fully understand and accept, without limitation, sole responsibility for all of the risks associated with my participation while on the tour or event, including injury and death whether through my own actions or those of other participants, tour guides, or any other external parties. I assume sole responsibility for this risk and release Politics & Prose from all liability or damages resulting from my participation.
- I understand and agree that the safety and wellbeing of minors under the age of 18 accompanying myself or my party are my sole responsibility.
- I represent that I am in proper physical condition to participate in this tour or event.
- I understand and agree that tour leader reserves the right to disqualify anyone at any time during the tour if he or she feels the person’s continued participation will jeopardize the individual involved or the group. Refunds are not given under such circumstances.
- I waive liability and release Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all actions, suits, claims, controversies, damages, judgments and executions whatsoever, in law or in equity, direct or indirect, known or unknown, foreseeable or unforeseeable, which I may have or acquire, arising from, concerning or related to entry in, travel to or from and/or participation in Politics & Prose tours or events.
- I agree that Politics & Prose is not liable for delay or cancellation resulting from acts of participants, agents, employees, acts of God, public enemy, or the United States; or fire, natural disaster, strikes, or civil disturbance.
- This Participant Waiver and Release of Liability shall be construed in accordance with, and its validity and effect (including any claims for breach of any of the terms thereof) shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, and this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability contains the entire understanding and the agreement of the parties hereto and supersedes all other written and oral exchanges, arrangements or negotiations among them, whether written or oral, concerning the subject matter hereof.
I do hereby, on behalf of myself, my dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release and agree to hold harmless Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all liability associated with the above. I agree to release, discharge, defend and indemnify against, any and all liability, whether caused by willful or negligent conduct, Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, operators, agents, and employees from any claims, actions and liabilities for injury (including death), illness and property losses, theft or damages to myself and those participating in the tour with me. This release shall extend to and include any person/entity acting through or on my behalf.